Take this short survey and get a free pergola plan.
Building a pergola can be an relatively simple weekend project. Check out the instructional video below.
If you are interested on knowing what it takes to build a pergola in your backyard, then this 8-minute video will give you just that. Pergolas are great for adding visual appeal to your property, while providing shade during those hot summer months.
This video gives concise visual instructions on how easy it can be to build a pergola. The guy is speaking with a bit of an English accent (he’s from New Zealand), so there may be words that are difficult to understand at first. Luckily, there are words that pop up during the video so you can read what he is saying.
Here are few notables from the video…
Compliance: You’ll want to contact your local agencies
- Check your local zoning regulations
- Check to see if you need a permit
- Make sure there are no sewer or electrical lines beneath the ground area
What you’ll need (not an exhaustive list)
- spray can
- electric saw
- tape measure
Wood types mentioned
- 4 posts
- 2 bearers
- 8 rafters
Here are the steps outlined in the video
- Mark out where post holes will go
- Build profiles for stringlines
- Dig the post holes
- Put in posts and brace
- Pour concrete into post holes
- Remove braces and stringlines
- Mark the height of the posts
- Mark the rebate
- Cut posts to correct height
- Cut out rebate
- Measure and cut bearers
- Mark where rafters will sit
- Place bearers in rebates
- Drill holes for bolts
- Lay rafters on bearers and nail in place
- Nail battens in place
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.